Domonique Martin PT, DPT
Board Licensed Sports activities Medical Specialist
For a lot of, cooler temperatures imply lacing up skates, strapping on ski boots, and hopping on sleds. Winter is a time to take part in each leisure and aggressive sports activities carried out on snow or ice. Annually in the US it’s estimated 9.7 million folks take part in ice-skating and 17 million folks take part in snowboarding and snow-skiing.1,4 With the Winter Olympic Video games in 2022, the curiosity in winter sports activities is anticipated to extend.
Winter sports activities are an effective way to remain lively in the course of the colder months, however together with these nice occasions come winter sports activities accidents that could possibly be prevented with the precise precautions.
Virtually 200,000 persons are seen in emergency departments every year for accidents associated to winter sports activities. 7,000 of these instances require hospitalization.2 Newbie skiers are sometimes injured by unintentional falls, whereas extra skilled skiers and snowboarders are mostly injured from jumps.2
This determine contains:
- 76,000 accidents from snow snowboarding
- 53,000 accidents from snowboarding
- 48,000 accidents from ice skating
- 22,000 accidents from sledding
Due to the pace, fast adjustments in path, and threat for falls, the next accidents are frequent in winter sports activities:
- Knee ligament sprains or tears: Knee sprains make up roughly 30% of all ski-related accidents. When the knee is twisted or strikes out of its regular place, ligaments such because the medial collateral ligament (MCL) or anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) could be stretched or torn.
- Meniscus tears: Sharp pivoting on the knee can result in accidents within the cartilage within the knee, particularly the meniscus positioned between the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone). Meniscus tears could be painful and restrict the knee’s capability to bend or straighten.
- Wrist fractures and sprains: The wrist and forearm are susceptible to harm when individuals attain out to brace a fall. Wrist guards worn whereas snowboarding may also help to guard the wrists.
- Head accidents: Concussions and cranium fractures can happen throughout many winter sports activities on account of falls or collisions. Most of those accidents happen throughout snowboarding or snowboarding with a 3rd of those accidents being kids. Concussions can current with signs together with headache, dizziness, nausea, and confusion. Sporting a helmet throughout winter sports activities has been discovered to lower the danger of cranium fracture.
Many of those accidents occur on the finish of the day when folks overexert themselves to complete that one final run earlier than the day’s finish.
WINTER SPORTS SAFETY TIPS
Sports activities lovers don’t want to hold up their skates simply but. Most winter sports activities accidents can simply be prevented if individuals put together for his or her sport by holding in good bodily situation, staying alert, and stopping when they’re drained or in ache.
Take a look at the following pointers to assist forestall winter sports activities accidents:
- Put together your physique for exercise. Previous to taking part in winter sports activities spend 4-6 weeks constructing the energy of your core, hips, and legs. Fatigue of those muscle teams can result in poor approach and lead to harm. Cardio coaching comparable to brisk strolling, elliptical, ski machines may assist to arrange your cardiovascular system for lengthy durations of winter exercise.
- Seek the advice of an knowledgeable. Tutorial lessons and demonstrations on winter sports activities could be worthwhile in stopping harm. Not solely can instructors give tips about approach, they’ll additionally assist with choosing acceptable gear and ski/ snowboard slope ranges.
- Take time to heat up. Though these are cold-weather sports activities, your muscle groups shouldn’t be chilly when participating in them. Take 5 minutes to carry out dynamic workouts (squats, lunges, wrist circles, trunk rotations, leg swings) to get the blood shifting.
- Keep hydrated. Similar to in some other sport, your physique wants water to carry out effectively. When it’s chilly out, you additionally might not discover how a lot you’re sweating. Take breaks to re-hydrate and relaxation to restrict fatigue-related accidents and diseases. Taking part in sports activities at a better elevation may result in dehydration as effectively making staying hydrated much more essential.
- Remember and alert. Collaborating in winter sports activities when drained might improve the danger of harm. Take breaks and recharge. Keep conscious of different folks round you and in addition maintain a watch out for marked trails and different indicators.
- See a bodily therapist. Minor aches and pains can result in main accidents if not handled. Bodily therapists can work with you to develop a program to arrange to your winter sports activities in addition to assess and deal with any accidents sustained throughout these actions.
- Affiliate NSA. Nationwide skier and snowboarder visits, 2011–1979. https://nsaa.org/webdocs/Media_Public/IndustryStats/Historical_Skier_Days_1979_2021
- Fu, X., Du, L., Tune, Y., Chen, H., & Shen, W. (2020). Incidence of accidents in skilled snow sports activities: a scientific assessment and meta-analysis. Journal of sport and well being science.
- Summers, Z., Teague, W. J., Hutson, J. M., Palmer, C. S., Jowett, H. E., & King, S. Okay. (2017). The spectrum of pediatric accidents sustained in snow sports activities. Journal of pediatric surgical procedure, 52(12), 2038-2041.
- Sports activities & Health Business Affiliation. Ice Skating Participation Stories 2019. https://www.sfia.org/stories/732_Ice-Skating-Participation-Report-2019
- American Bodily Remedy Affiliation. Tricks to Stop Snowboarding-Associated Knee Accidents. Select PT. https://www.choosept.com/health-tips/tips-exercises-prevent-skiing-related-knee-injuries