Rob De Castella was a selected favourite of mine. In the summertime of 1984, my coaching companions, Tim & Dan Gruber, and I met Rob De Castella as he ready for the Los Angeles Olympic Marathon. Rob was not solely gracious however affected person with me, and I recall a exercise the place Rob ran 8 x 400m in 61-62 with a 40-second 200m float in between with Tim Gruber. I ran 8 instances a 400 in 71-72 with 45 second 200m float with Dick Telford, who at 46 had run a 2:26 marathon. Our go to with Rob modified Tim and my strategy to coaching, utilizing the complicated coaching technique (20-22 on Sunday, hill repeats on Tuesdays, 18 miles on Wednesdays, 8x400m on Thursdays, and races each two-3 weeks). We ran PBs in the whole lot.
Rob De Castella is without doubt one of the nice ones. He additionally lead by instance and I wished to jot down about he and Steve Jones in the present day, on a NYC Marathon weekend to offer youthful readers a way of historical past of our sport. I hope you get pleasure from it.
15 enjoyable information about Rob De Castella, 1983 World Champion on the marathon, 1986 Boston Marathon winner
- As. Junior Rob’s staff had scored an ideal rating of 15 within the Australian championships. The subsequent yr, Rob and a teammate determined to see if they may get a rating beneath fifteen factors. Rob put his mate on his shoulders and cross the end line. They have been DQed, and Rob’s coach, Pat Clohessy, was not amused.
- Rob completed tenth within the 1980 Olympic marathon in Moscow in 2:14.31, Eighth in Fukuoka in 2:10.44
- Rob gained the Fukuoka Marathon in 1981, breaking the world file of fellow Australian Derek Clayton, in 2:08.18. . Rob didn’t get full credit score for it, as Alberto Salazar had run a quicker time (2:08.13) , besides the course had been mismeasured, and Salazar had run 148 meters shorter than the space.
- In 1982, Rob De Castella gained the Commonwealth Video games marathon in Australia, having been over 90 seconds behind the chief. The final 5k made good sports activities TV as DeCastella battled Juma Ikaanga, his competitors, to take the gold, profitable by 80 meters, to the delight of Australians (and your complete metropolis of Brisbane).
- In a made-for-TV marathon, Rob De Castella defeated Alberto Salazar, then undefeated and on the line, held off Carlos Lopes on the Rotterdam marathon in April 1983.
- Later that yr, Rob De Castella gained the World Championships in Helsinki, changing into the primary gold medalist at a WC marathon.
- In 1984, Rob De Castella completed fifth within the Olympic marathon in 2:11.09, with Carlos Lopes taking the win on the ripe previous age of 36. Rob would run 4 Olympic marathons in his profession.
- In 1986, Rob De Castella gained the Boston Marathon in a brand new CR of two:07.51, setting the Australian file. In certainly one of his most interesting marathon performances, Rob ran on their lonesome for the final half of the marathon. This was the primary professional marathon in Boston, sponsored by John Hancock Monetary Providers. Many contemplate this race Rob’s most interesting profession efficiency.
- In 1986, Rob De Castella gained his second Commonwealth Video games. He was the defending champion from 1982.
- Rob completed in 1986 by taking third within the New York Metropolis Marathon.
- Rob competed within the 1980, 1984, 1988, and 1992 Olympic marathons. He completed within the high ten in three Olympic marathons (1980-10, 1984-fifth, 1988-Eighth, and in 1992, 26th0.
- In his third Commonwealth Video games in 1990, Rob completed thirteenth in 2:18.50
- Rob retired in 1993, is the daddy of 4 youngsters, and champions the Indigenous marathon venture after directing the Australian Institute of Sport for six years.
- Rob De Castella was a superb cross-country runner. Rob gained the Australian junior title as soon as and the Australian senior title 4 instances whereas ending on the rostrum 5 different instances. Rob competed within the World Cross Nation from 1977-1986, ending within the high 20 5 instances!
- Rob De Castella is a category act and one of many nice ones. With a simple smile and a depraved humorousness, Rob had put up with this author on a future in Nisene Marks method again in 1984 and mentioned,: “goodbye mate, as he and my coaching accomplice, Tim Gruber, flew away at beneath six-minute tempo for the final 5 miles of an 18-mile run.”