Everybody desires larger biceps, however do you know there are literally two heads to the biceps? A ‘quick’ head and a ‘lengthy’ head.
We don’t have to get too into anatomy right here, however if you wish to stimulate your whole bicep and add large thickness to your arms, you’ll want to incorporate these workout routines that focus on the quick head of the biceps.
Listed here are my high 12 workout routines for the perfect short-head bicep exercise:
- Single Arm Dumbbell Focus Curl
- Dumbbell Spider Curls
- Dumbbell Preacher Curl
- Straight Bar Elevated Cable Curl
- Hercules Curl
- Cable Squatting Bicep Curl
- Barbell Curls
- Huge Grip EZ Bar Curls
- EZ Bar Preacher Curls
- Chin Ups
- Supinated Lat Pulldowns
- Inverted Rows
For those who don’t activate your quick head bicep correctly, you gained’t get the biceps you’re capturing for.
That’s why I’ve included a mix of dumbbell, cable, barbell, and compound workout routines, so irrespective of the gear you’ve got entry to, you’ll be capable to goal the quick head and get an important bicep pump.
With that being mentioned, learn on to study:
- The place the quick head of the bicep is
- Why it’s crucial to coach the quick head of the bicep
- 12 greatest short-head bicep workout routines
- A pattern short-head bicep exercise
Be certain that to take a look at the ‘professional ideas’ part of every train to maximise the profit!
What Is the Brief Head of the Bicep?
With out getting too technical, your bicep has two lengthy muscle bellies that run up the entrance of your arm. Most individuals assume that is one muscle, and technically it’s, however there are 2 heads (attachment factors), and they’re stimulated barely otherwise.
The quick head is the inside a part of the bicep and is much less outstanding, whereas the lengthy head is on the surface and bigger.
The quick head of the bicep works with the lengthy head to flex the elbow joint, however each heads work collectively to supply power and stability to the elbow joint and contribute to total arm operate.
Whereas it’s unattainable to utterly isolate the quick head from the lengthy head, a basic rule of thumb to stimulate the quick head is to do your curls together with your palms going through up, use a large grip, and preserve your elbows far out of your physique.
Why Is It Essential to Prepare the Brief Head of the Biceps?
Coaching the quick head of the biceps is critical to utterly practice the bicep for a number of causes:
- Harm prevention
The quick head of the bicep is primarily chargeable for the bicep ‘peak’ when the arm is flexed and makes the arm look fuller and extra aesthetically pleasing.
The quick head of the biceps performs a vital position in elbow flexion, which is necessary for a lot of on a regular basis actions like selecting up objects or lifting weights. Specializing in working the quick head may also help add mass to your arms, and also you create a extra full and outlined bicep.
Strengthening the biceps’ quick head may also help stop accidents, significantly to the elbow joint. A powerful biceps muscle may also help to stabilize the elbow joint throughout actions that contain gripping or pulling.
Specializing in each the quick and lengthy heads of the biceps can create a extra balanced look to the higher arm and assist stop muscle imbalances that would result in damage.
Subsequent, you’ll study concerning the workout routines so you know the way to work out the quick head of the biceps totally.
You’ll be able to learn extra about night out your biceps in our full article.
Greatest Brief Head Bicep Exercise: 12 Workout routines
I’ve included 4 totally different classes of workout routines that may enable you to construct the fitting quick head bicep exercise for you. Let’s begin with the workout routines you in all probability have the gear for.
Dumbbell Workout routines
1. Single Arm Dumbbell Focus Curl
This train is nice since you solely want one dumbbell. This can goal the quick head, however similar to all curl workout routines, the lengthy head may even be stimulated.
How To Do It:
- Sit on the sting of a bench.
- Lock your elbow into your thigh and lean ahead.
- Lengthen your arm down and squeeze onerous on the high of every rep.
Be certain that your elbow is locked into your thigh. Your elbow needs to be the pivot level. This helps stop any added momentum and ensures all bicep muscular tissues do the work.
2. Dumbbell Spider Curls
The spider curl has develop into a favourite for a lot of as a result of this lights up that bicep peak and is fairly simple to do. Simply be sure you aren’t making any frequent errors.
How To Do It:
For this train, you’ll want 2 dumbbells and an incline bench.
- Begin with each arms hanging excessive of an incline bench.
- Be sure you prolong your arms down every rep.
- Deal with preserving your elbows ahead.
Maintain reaching your elbows ahead. Usually when folks get drained, they’ll begin pulling their elbows again whereas they’re curling. Don’t do that. Maintain reaching your elbows ahead to pressure stress onto the quick head.
3. Dumbbell Preacher Curl
The Dumbbell Preacher Curl is much like the spider curl, however the preacher setup permits your elbows to be barely extra ahead. And that ahead elbow place helps put an additional deal with the quick head of the bicep.
How To Do It:
That being mentioned, you want a preacher curl arrange and two dumbbells.
- Elbows ought to keep locked onto the pad.
- Don’t let your dumbbells come collectively as you come up. Maintain pushing them aside.
- Be certain that to squeeze your bicep on the high, and prolong out all the way in which.
Don’t let your elbows transfer. The purpose of utilizing the preacher curl machine is to repair your elbows right into a locked place. Additionally, be certain that to actually squeeze on the high of every rep.
Cable Workout routines
Utilizing a cable setup is an effective way to coach the biceps! However, you want entry to a cable machine, which might be restricted. That being mentioned. For those who can entry one, the cable machine is certainly one of my favourite methods to maintain fixed stress on the biceps.
Extra stress = extra beneficial properties!
1. Straight Bar Elevated Cable Curl
This train is an effective way to work the biceps concurrently. It’s fairly easy and an important train for newbies.
How To Do It:
- Seize your self a straight bar and ensure the cable is about as much as be roughly shoulder top.
- Maintain your elbows UP and LIFTED the entire time.
- Lengthen your arms out every rep. Don’t reduce the reps quick.
- Pull your fingers to your face and squeeze the bicep on the high.
Don’t let your elbows drop. Protecting your elbows out in entrance of you is without doubt one of the predominant methods to emphasise the quick head when coaching the biceps.
2. Hercules Curl
For those who can entry this cable setup, it is a nice train for preserving fixed stress in your biceps. This is a bit more superior than the earlier train. So in case you are extra of a newbie, begin with the earlier train.
How To Do It:
- Set the cable top to about shoulder top.
- Maintain your elbows lifted as you curl.
- Be certain that to squeeze the bicep on the high of every rep to place further stress on the quick head.
Keep in mind to isolate the quick head you need to preserve your elbows lifted. Combat that tendency to drop the arms down because the biceps fatigue! Maintain lifting your arms to maintain the deal with the bicep.
3. Cable Squatting Bicep Curl
That is an train folks aren’t all the time acquainted with, and it does require a little bit of steadiness. Nonetheless, it’s nice for working the quick head as a result of the elbows are each elevated and in entrance of your physique.
It’s a extra superior bicep curl variation.
How To Do It:
- Set the cable to the low place.
- Squat down and relaxation your elbows on the highest of your knees.
- Use the elbows as a pivot level as you curl.
- Palms ought to come proper in entrance of your face for every rep.
Don’t begin too heavy. A part of doing this train is determining your steadiness. You gained’t discover that candy spot if the cable has an excessive amount of weight.
Barbell Workout routines
For those who don’t have entry to a cable machine, fear not! Listed here are 3 barbell workout routines to be sure you’re stimulating the quick head.
1. Barbell Curls
A regular bicep train utilized in gyms worldwide. This can be a very user-friendly bicep train and is nice for newbies. Simply be sure you’re doing it proper.
How To Do It:
- Stand tall together with your core braced.
- Palms needs to be barely wider than shoulder width. Palms face up.
- Provoke the motion by partaking the biceps.
- Convey the barbell to your shoulders, squeeze the bicep, then management as you prolong again down.
This can be a fairly traditional bicep train. Transfer your fingers out barely wider than shoulder width to make this much more biased towards the shortcut. That may pressure extra supination, which the quick head is primarily chargeable for.
2. Huge Grip EZ Bar Curls
The EZ bar was designed to cut back stress on the wrist and forearm whereas offering a greater grip for bicep and tricep workout routines. So, it was actually made for curls. Let’s use it!
How To Do It:
- Discover a grip that feels essentially the most comfy in your wrists.
- Provoke the motion together with your bicep.
- Convey the EZ Bar as much as shoulder top, squeeze the bicep on the high, then management as you prolong your arms.
Don’t go too heavy to begin. Take into consideration the dumbbells you’d seize if you happen to did this train, and begin with the EZ Bar weighing the mixed whole of these dumbbells.
3. EZ Bar Preacher Curls
We’ve gone by means of the preacher curl and the EZ Bar curl, so now we’re combining these workout routines. That is certainly one of my private favorites.
How To Do It:
- Discover essentially the most comfy grip to your wrists. They need to be roughly shoulder width aside.
- Lock your elbows on the preacher curl pad.
- Squeeze your biceps on the high, then prolong all the way in which again out.
Experiment with totally different grips! Relying in your anatomy, having your fingers barely nearer or wider will really feel extra comfy on the wrist and forearm. Use the grip that feels most comfy and stimulating to the biceps.
Compound Workout routines
By compound workout routines, I imply multi-joint workout routines that aren’t sometimes thought-about bicep workout routines. These actions are nice since you’re working a number of muscle teams, with an added bonus of bicep beneficial properties.
Listed here are my 3 favourite compound workout routines for brief head bicep development.
1. Chin Ups
Chin ups are nice as a result of they don’t require a lot gear, and most gyms have pull up/chin up bars. Chin Ups are a sophisticated train however might be scaled utilizing an assisted machine or bands. Isometric holds or eccentric variations are additionally nice workout routines.
How To Do It:
- Place your hand’s palms up on the chin up bar.
- Pull your chin over the bar.
- Decrease your self down as slowly and as in management as you may.
Chin Ups are difficult, so if you happen to want further help, you may place a protracted band round your knees or toes for added help.
2. Supinated Lat Pulldowns
The Lat Pulldown machine is a traditional for many business fitness center goers, and most of the people have not less than tried it. The Lat Pulldown is much like a chin up, however is a extra beginner-friendly train. That being mentioned, it’s a specialised piece of kit, and also you want a lat pulldown machine to carry out this train.
How To Do It:
- Sit down together with your legs wedged below the pad.
- Seize the bar together with your palms going through UP.
- Pull the bar to the highest of the chest, then prolong again out slowly.
Be sure you’re firmly wedged into the machine. Lots of people permit themselves to get pulled up. Don’t let this occur. The extra secure you’re, the extra muscle you’ll activate.
3. Supinated Inverted Rows
This train is when it comes to problem between a chin up and a lat pulldown. I’d classify this train as intermediate. The secret’s within the setup. You’ll want a barbell and a rack!
How To Do It:
- Set the barbell as much as be about hip top.
- Lie on the bottom, get below the barbell.
- Seize the barbell, PALMS UP, with a shoulder width grip.
- Pull your self up till your chest touches the bar.
- Management your self as you decrease again down.
For those who can’t pull your self up simply but, scoot your toes again and raise your hips. This can make the train a lot simpler, and you’ll work to maneuver your legs out.
For extra details about bettering your bicep day, learn our full article.
Suggestions For Concentrating on the Brief Head of the Bicep
The very first thing to recollect is that you just’re by no means going to utterly isolate the person heads of the bicep. However you may bias every.
Which bicep head is ideally utilized is influenced by 3 positional parts:
Hand place, forearm place, and elbow place.
Your palms ought to face UP. That is referred to as supination, and it actually lights the quick head up. Workout routines with the palms going through down (pronation) will bias the lengthy head as a substitute.
When your forearm is angled away out of your physique, you can be biasing the quick head. In sensible phrases, you must widen your grip to deal with the quick head and slender your grip to bias the lengthy head.
Final however not least, the additional your elbows are out of your physique, the extra the quick head is labored. Alternatively, preserving your elbows near your physique will pressure extra emphasis to the lengthy head.
Everybody has totally different targets. So use this data to your benefit when choosing workout routines.
An ideal train to preferentially work the quick head = palms face up, your grip is broad, and your elbows are far out of your physique.
Wish to know if it’s higher to do bicep curls standing or sitting? Learn our full article.
Pattern Brief Head Bicep Exercise
Arm coaching can both be mixed with one other physique half, or it may be by itself day in itself. Listed here are 3 separate pattern exercises that you need to use to implement a few of these workout routines.
Pattern Again & Bicep Exercise
- Chin Ups x 3-4 units of 6-10 reps (RPE @ 8)
- Supinated Lat Pulldown x 3 units of 20/16/12 reps
- EZ Bar Upright Row x 3-4 units of 12-15 reps (RPE @ 7)
- EZ Bar Preacher Curl x 3-4 units of 12-15 reps (2-second tempo to increase your arms again out)
- Single Arm Dumbbell Focus Curl x 3-4 units of 10-12 reps per arm (RPE @ 7)
Pattern Bicep + Tricep Finisher Superset
- Dumbbell Spider Curls x 3-4 units of 12-15 reps
- Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extension x 3-4 units of 15-20 reps
- Straight Bar Elevated Bicep Curl x 3-4 units of AMRAP (as many reps as you may get)
- Straight Bar Tricep Pressdown x 3-4 units of AMRAP
Pattern Bicep Finisher
- Huge Grip EZ Bar Curls x 3-4 units of 12-15 reps (RPE @ 7)
- EZ Bar Preacher Curls x 3-4 units of 12-15 reps (RPE @ 7-8)
- Hercules Curl x 3-4 units of 12-15 reps (RPE @ 7-8)
Continuously Requested Questions
How Do You Work the Brief Head of the Biceps With Dumbbells?
You’ll be able to work the quick head of the biceps with dumbbells with the preacher curl setup, an incline bench for spider curls, or a single dumbbell to hit focus curls. You can begin with weight that allows you to excellent your kind, then improve the burden as your power grows.
For those who really feel such as you’ve been working your biceps however haven’t seen the complete definition or measurement you’re in search of, you in all probability have to throw in a few workout routines that prioritize the quick head!
The quick head is chargeable for the bicep ‘peak’ and provides fullness and measurement to the bicep.
Take into account that you can not utterly isolate the quick head from the lengthy head of the bicep. They’re one muscle. However there are actions you may take to bias the quick head.
Keep in mind what stimulates the quick head: palms face up, your grip is broad, and your elbows needs to be far out of your physique.
For those who’re not sure the place to begin, scroll up and use the pattern exercises to get you going! Now fill these sleeves!
About The Creator
Kurtis Ackerman is a private coach residing in Southern California. He’s the proprietor and head coach of KB Health. Kurtis competed in powerlifting and Strongman in his youthful years however has shifted to extra endurance-focused occasions, finishing his first marathon in 2020. He trains all kinds of clientele however makes a speciality of working round accidents.